He is one of the most important American artists to emerge after World War II.
Robert Ryman- the minimalist painter, has died at the age of 88 at his home in Greenwich Village in Manhattan. He made the most of minimal white piece of artwork, most of his works are variety unique even they are just white and square.
1.He is a very first minimalist artist
Ryman started the painting career during 50s, the first famous painting of him is a largely monochrome painting titled Orange Painting
2. He never takes the art course in his life
Mr. Ryman was perhaps peculiarly American in being an autodidact who never took a single art course. His art education consisted of seven years as a guard at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
3. He had his first one-man show at Paul Bianchini‘s gallery
New York city, 1967 at the age of 36. he exhibited his Standardseries—thirteen flat-rolled steel panels painted white and hung flush against the wall.
- “Robert Ryman.” Pace Gallery, http://www.pacegallery.com/artists/412/robert-ryman.
- Smith, Roberta. “Robert Ryman, Minimalist Painter Who Made the Most of White, Dies at 88.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 9 Feb. 2019, http://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/obituaries/robert-ryman-minimalist-painter-dies.html.
- “Robert Ryman Paintings, Bio, Ideas.” The Art Story, http://www.theartstory.org/artist-ryman-robert.htm.